The Writers’ Retreat UK
Short, Short Story Competition
ENTRIES OPEN – DEADLINE EXTENDED
Check out our extra Lockdown Short Story competition, too.
Want to see your story in print? We are pleased to announce our next short story competition. We want you to write a short, short story with a minimum of 250 words and a maximum of 1000 words. All genres are welcome.
- 1st – £200, plus a free place on a nomimated Writers’ Retreat UK retreat.
- 2nd – £100, plus 50% discount for a nominated Writers’ Retreat UK retreat.
- 3rd – £50, plus 50% discount for a nomimated Writers’ Retreat UK retreat.
- 6 additional merit prizes of £15 will be awarded.
- 15 further stories will be shortlisted and will receive a 30% discount on any available Writers’ Retreat UK retreat.
All winning and shortlisted stories will be published on the Writers’ Retreat UK website and will be included in the 2020 Short Story Anthology. Every author included in the Anthology will receive a complementary paperback copy.
Each individual entry costs an admin fee of £15 per story. Enter now and get the early bird discounted admin fee of £10. You are welcome to enter more than one story, with an entry fee for each.
Download the app Igniss on iPhone and Android. Every entrant into our Short Story Competition will receive a code to access our very own Igniss application with an additional free competition, along with some short story writing hints and tips.
The final deadline is 7th August, 2020. Timeline:
- 3rd April, 2019 – Competition opens for entries
- 31st May, 2019 – last date for £10 early-bird entries
- 24th August, 2020 – Final date for entries – Extended deadline
- September, 2020 – Winners and shortlisted stories announced
We also run a regular caption competition on our Facebook page, with some lovely prizes.
Why do we charge an admin fee? We are a small company looking to give a great opportunity for writers to to win some great prizes. Without the admin fee, we cannot cover the expenses of the judges or offer such great cash and discount prizes. As our competitions grow in popularity, we will add addition categories to give you more options for entering, all with the same great prizes. We appreciate your support.
Take a look at previous competition winners: